Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fun with Costumes and Props!

If you're looking to quickly put together an inexpensive costume here are some tips...

step 1. Google "Halloween costumes."  How's that for an Ah-Ha idea? This is why they pay me the big bucks! Because I offer such innovative ideas that most mortals would never think of. And, I figured Google was in need of a little promoting.

step 2. Once you've decided on your character or costume, send a text message to all your friends that live close by. Ask them if you could borrow any clothing, accessories, or props that would fit with your character.  When I wanted to dress up as a SWAT team member I sent a text, "do you have a gun, a fake badge, or handcuffs I could borrow?" It throws a curve ball to the typical, see you soon, LOL, and I'm running late text messages. And the response you get is well worth the question! 

step 3. If you've exhausted your closet, your kid's toy chest and none of your friends own a gypsy fortune teller costume, which is still shocking to me, then it's time to hit the thrift stores. Goodwill and Savors have never disappointed me. You can usually find great deals on wigs, dated clothes, a plethora of gold Lamee blouses and in my case a foam filled alligator hat that just needed a little sanitizing.  Of course, buying fabric and giving the sewing machine a whirl is another option but for me, looking at that piece of equipment just gives me a nervous twitch.

step 4. Don't forget the props and finishing touches!  If you have young kids you definitely have an advantage here.  I can't stress the toy chest and dress up box enough! Although, kitchen gadgets and household appliances can make for great weapons.  You can use the attachment suction hose from your vacuum to look like a police billy club, a broken plastic microphone from your kid's old music set can portray a very professional interview, your dog's incontinence pills can be used for prescription meds, a giant opaque light bulb cover with a flashlight hidden underneath can look like a real crystal ball and black water paint smeared all over your hands and fingernails can make you look like a real mechanic covered in grease.  Warning, if you're going for the toothless look, using a black Sharpie permanent marker on your front tooth, in order to save a few bucks on the black out paint the party store sells, is my only regret. That's not an area where you want to cut corners folks! Applying waterproof mascara on your tooth seems to be the best solution I've found. 

Step 5. Take a picture of yourself and send it to me at jenny@creativemessagemedia.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment